Images by Peter Jensen
Last week marked my second Eco Fashion Week since I live in Vancouver. After last season's fantastic shows, I was excited to see what would be on the fashion-conscious runway this time. The week kicked off with a spectacular show by Vancouver's own Nicole Bridger at the Vogue Theatre in downtown Vancouver. This first night had EFW written all over it - lots of fashion, of course, but the organizers also took the opportunity to inspire, motivate and teach the (fashion) crowd. After a fantastic jazz session by the Jaclyn Guillou Trio, three speakers took stage to talk about their entrepreneurial pursuits to contribute to the communities, locally and internationally.
Nicole Bridger, too, is a "conscious entrepreneur". After all, the philosophy behind her brand and designs is "to do what is right". The fabrics that she uses are organic, and 90% of her clothing is made locally - the other 10% in Fair Trade factories. I didn't have a chance to touch & feel the clothing, but I was gifted a beautiful black scarf and the fabric truly feels amazing.
I loved how the fashion show was combined with a fantastic dance performance (extra motivation to start dance classes again!); it really showcased the comfort and quality of the garments as the dancers were wearing Nicole's pieces as well. In the pictures above you can see my favorite looks on the models; a mix of softer & stronger hues, feminine flowy lines and the occasional bright floral print. The accessories were great too, with jewellery from Mala Imports and pretty leather booties. I loved how the pieces are (apparently) so comfortable, but can still be dressy enough for work or evening events.